- To encourage and promote closer contact and collaboration between member groups, laboratories and clinical centres by dissemination of information, the exchange of materials and knowledge.
- The organisation of a biennial Workshop, held in different European countries.
- The organisation of biennial graduate course to train the next generation of lysosomal storage disease scientists and clinicians.
- Research areas which are a focus of the ESGLD include:
- Biochemical, molecular, genetic and clinical research to study lysosomal storage diseases.
- Basic research in cell biology and physiological function of lysosomes.
- Translational research to improve diagnostic procedures, to develop new treatments and to understand clinical history of lysosomal storage diseases.
- To facilitate short term visits of younger workers to other laboratories and clinical centres in the group.